It’s been interesting reading the various reactions and responses to the Nokta Legend updates. It seems to be a love or hate affair with a lot of in-betweens. Personally I think they’re great but before I go any further let me state upfront I’m somewhat partial to the Nokta company, it’s products and how they’re listening to the needs of the end user. I mean how great that a company is able to tweak and improve the performance of a detector and even fix deficiencies/bugs and all the detectorist has to do is connect it to his laptop computer.
Back in the late 80’s when I was with Garrett every new detector we released was only as good as the feedback we received from the handful of in-the-field testers. Sure a lot of testing was done by the factory but it was never enough, nor thorough enough and every new model was eventually exposed to some small kink or deficiency. Back then of course technology being what it was it meant sending the machine back to a service center or the factory. Today not so much.
Today users are letting the company know what works well, what needs improvement and what additional features would enhance their product. More important companies like Nokta are listening. These downloadable updates allow a detectorist to be more complete, more competitive and more successful. The company? More popular, more versatile and more profitable.
I’ve also watched Dilek Gonulay Akansel (Director of Sales & Marketing) tackle head on problems, misconceptions, rumors, customer questions and complaints, often live allowing time for direct questions from those watching. At the moment I know of no other company who does this. Maybe it’s time for them to step up too and be more available, more direct?
I was chatting with Dilek about all this the other day and she sent the following Legend update info. I’m posting it here for Legend users.
Updates to the Nokta Makro Legend
The initial one was 1.04, then we gave 1.05 , 1.07 (beach update) and 1.09 which included a LOT OF new features and setting including a new multi freq, iron filter etc. (the ones in between had bugs reported so we fixed them in a matter of a day or 2 ).
1. Iron Filter and Stability settings have been added.
When the device is working in Multi frequency, select the Recovery Speed setting and press the pinpoint button.
Letters “IF” (Iron Filter) will appear on the right side.
Iron Filter (IF) setting ranges between 1-8 and the default value is 8. Default value 8 is the same as the current Legend with no iron filter setting.
Lower IF setting will increase the probability of ferrous targets to be classified as non-ferrous targets and vice versa.
Stability setting (st) is the fine tuning for the IF setting.
When the IF is set to 8, the st setting will be inactive in the Park, Field and Gold Field modes.
When the IF is set to any value below 8, the St setting can be activated by pressing the right or left button and can be adjusted by using the + and – buttons.
NOTE: The st setting in the beach mode is different than this new st setting!
2. A new multi frequency (M3) has been added to PARK and FIELD modes.
Ideal for humid, wet and/or conductive soils.
It reduces the effect of moisture in soils which can cause falses. It also weakens the response of targets generating 10-11 IDs such as coke and aluminum foil.
3.Tone Pitch has been added.
In Tone Pitch, as the coil approaches the target, the audio frequency will change in proportion to the signal strength. It can be selected from the number of tones setting and is shown with a P.
4. Audio Gain setting has been added.
Audio Gain setting will increase the volume of weak target responses.
In the PARK, FIELD and BEACH modes, after selecting the volume, press the pinpoint button. Letters AG will appear on the right side. You can adjust the AG using the + and – buttons between 1-6. The default value is set to 3.
Audio Gain does NOT increase depth.
5. Mute function has been added.
On the main screen, press and hold the Frequency button to mute the device.
Letters “AO” (Audio Off) will appear on the right side. You can unmute by pressing and holding the Frequency button.
Even if muted, the device will revert back to unmute in the custom discrimination pattern (notch), ground balance and settings menus automatically.
6. Auto sensitivity drop in the custom discrimination pattern
When you select the custom discrimination pattern (notch), the sensitivity drops down to 5 automatically. However, if you are using the automatic notch, you may not want the sensitivity to be lowered. In this case, press the Ground Balance button once to revert back to the current sensitivity. Letters “CS” (current sensitivity) will be displayed on the right side.
7. Hearing the audio through the speaker and the Bluetooth headphones at the same time
When the Bluetooth setting is selected, if the Bluetooth HPs are paired, press the up button and select 2.
8. Reverting Back to Factory Defaults
After selecting the user profile in the settings menu, press and hold the pinpoint button until letters Fd appear on screen. Fd will disappear after 2 seconds.
9. Discrimination Pattern is now saved.
Default discrimination pattern for PARK, FIELD, and BEACH has been defined as “F (Ferro-off)” and as “G (Ground-off)” in the Gold Field Mode.
10. Mineralization Indicator
In the ground balance menu, press the discrimination button to activate the mineralization indicator. Letter GI (Ground Indicator) will appear on the right side. When you press the discrimination button again, it will revert back to Ferro Check and FC will appear.
Ground Mineralization refers to the naturally occurring minerals in the ground that affect a metal detector’s performance. There are two main types of ground mineralization: Iron particles and salt such as saltwater beaches. This causes the ground to become conductive. Both produce false signals that mask targets.
Left side of the mineralization bar shows iron particle mineralization and the right side shows mineralization due to salt. The right side works in multi frequency only!
11. The selected setting in the settings menu will now blink for easier viewing.
12. The default threshold frequency level in Park, Field and Beach modes have been changed to 10.
13. Threshold parameters have been updated in the Park, Field and Beach modes.
14. Audio during ground balancing has been updated.
15. Ground balance and pinpoint function parameters have been updated.
16. Beach Mode Multi-W and the Pinpoint in this mode has been improved and updated.
17. Bluetooth headphones pairing criteria have been updated. The device will now search for the headphones it has been paired with initially and try to connect to those. This will prevent the device from connecting to other Bluetooth devices when the Bluetooth setting is on. If you want to pair the device with different Bluetooth headphones (other than those it was initially paired with) you must delete them from memory as explained in the manual.
18. The sensitivity value will now be displayed also in the Target ID section.
19. The ground phase value calculated through automatic ground balance as well as tracking will now be saved.
20. Multi-1, Multi-2, Multi-D, Multi-W frequencies will now be saved. The device will start with the last frequency used.
21. The default Number of Tones for Park and Beach modes have been changed to 2.
22. The default Tone Volume level of ferreous tone has been updated per each mode.
23. The Ground Balance menu icons and the tones have been updated.
24. The battery bar levels have been updated to be more linear.
25. M 1 Multi Frequency parameters have been updated.
26. Audio alert for Automatic Frequency Shift (Noise Cancellation) completion has been extended.
27. Factory default Tone Break value has been changed from 11 to 10 in Park mode.
28. Ferrous Off Discrimination Pattern has been updated to reject IDs between 1-10 in Park & Field modes.
29. Threshold audio level has been increased in Gold mode.
30. Audio response during ground balancing in Gold mode has been updated.
31. Backlight levels have been re-configured.
32. Bugs have been fixed.
Dilek added “First 16 are the new ones offered in 1.09”
If you have further questions about the Legend updates check out the following Nokta Facebook sites –