THE WHITE’S TREASURE MASTER – DAY 1
When I woke up this morning my mind said yes, but the body said no, so I flipped a coin and it came out “get off your ass and do something”….
So after coffee, cereal and fifteen various “sure to cure your ills” pills, I headed out with my new Treasure Master. I drove to a site I recently lined up, but unfortunately it was still knee-high in grass. To make a long story short I received permission from the mayor of a town to detect a certain piece of land, but immediately after getting the okay, we had a month of rains, which turned it into a mini lake. Now it’s high weeds, and I don’t have the cajones to ask when it’s going to be mowed. Patience will have to be a virtue here because if my hunch is correct it could provide some great detecting!
Soooo…. I headed to an older school across the lake, which every so often gives up a silver coin or two. To my advantage a couple of overnight thunderstorms added just enough moisture without making the area muddy.
I opted to start with a setting that worked well in my test garden (see last update), and started scanning as soon as I got out of the car (auto GB). After about ten minutes I got a pretty consistent 73, and a reading of dime on the ID meter. Depth was 4 inches. One flip of the plug and I had my first coin of the day, a clad Roosie. Then I had to turn my attention to my knees, both of which were hurting like hell, and I wondered how I was going to get up. I am very self-conscious detecting now because my getting up and down is not a pretty sight. Fortunately no one was around, and I used the handle of the TM to get up.
Love the ID screen…..
Without boring you with all the trivial details (and cursing), I spent about an hour at the school, recovered a few clad coins, all of which the TM identified, then headed for a very small park not too far away. When I say small I mean it’s about 75 yards long and maybe 30 yards wide. It has a small tot lot area to the right as you enter, but the entire left side is a field, which was used for years to park cars when they would hold special events.
I decided here to give the all metal mode a whirl, but after a couple of clad finds, the VCO sound got to me. Strange too because I can’t hear worth a crap. Anyway I changed back to the coin/jewelry program, and pushed on for about 45 minutes, after which time I had four wheats, one silver Roosie, a few clad dimes, 3 nickels, 2 bruised knees, several sore joints and a t-shirt that was soaking wet. It was time to go home.
My finds…..eat your heart out!
Overall, I was very pleased with the Treasure Master, and I’m anxious to get out and learn it better. Weighing only 2.8 lbs it was a pleasure to swing, and I have always loved the “S” shaped rod,which in this case allowed me to put the detector down without having to pull my arm out of the cuff (didn’t use the velcro strap). Also, yesterday when I was putting the TM together, I was a little concerned about the headphone jack being on the right side of the housing, but to my surprise the cord did not get in the way when scanning or digging. Another plus, was the TreasureMaster’s ability to accurately identify the nickel via the readout.
I did not dig any deep targets, with the deepest coin reading 6 inches, however it’s quite possible they were there and I didn’t put my coil over them. Bench testing I was able to get a readout on a dime at about 7 inches and a quarter at about 9 (with sensitivity set midway, C&J program).
It’s going to take me time to get used to the Treasure Master, and to learn its nuances, but so far I am happy with it’s performance. I just wish it had switches and knobs.
Finally, I know most all of you spend hours and hours in the field detecting. Unfortunately I cannot, so bear with me if I get sidetracked and talk about my aches and pains. Things ain’t what they used to be!