Got thinking about the various “national” groups out there, and how they are all trying to revive their efforts, and wanted to throw this idea out there, and see what kind of feedback it generates…
- All three groups (FMDAC, Task Force & WWATS) set a date to meet to and discuss a “definitive” coming together or joining of forces. (IMO three separate groups will not work.
- The end result must be ONE national organization with a new name, (two words that come to mind…”Alliance” and “Coalition”) with balanced representation from all three.
- Next, come up with a do-able, and effective plan of action on how to move forward.
- Next, set up a date to meet with and present your plan to the manufacturers, magazine publishers, distributors, and anyone else whose livelihood depends on the continuation of the pastime.
- Present your plan, ask for their verbal support, as well as financial and material support.
- The NEW organization MUST be a full time group, with paid employees (at least two or three)
- Have a website that is attractive, informative, constantly updated, and that allows for members to have input and ask questions. (NOT a forum, but a question and answer type format).
- Increase dues to $30 a year for all members, and perhaps allow clubs to join with members paying $15 or $20 each (set aside a percentage for a “Legal Fund”).
- Forget organizing chapters for now. They have not worked out and apparently just created more problems.
- Hold a yearly convention/hunt/meeting, but make sure it pays for itself, and that it includes a meeting where membership can participate.
Please understand this just my idea, and I know it there are a zillion ways to add to it or change it. I offer it as food for thought. A few of you have already offered ideas, and I would be inerested in hearing from others, especially from the major players in the FMDAC, WWATS and Task Force.
Lastly, let me be on record with the following because I know the rumors will start…. I want absolutely nothing at all to do with any efforts to organize a national group. I have been there, done that, and there are a lot more knowledgeable people out there who know what’s going on today. I do not. I am 71 years old, quite happy here, sitting on my ass, drinking wine, pissing off the arkies every now and then and stirring the pot, as in this post!
COUPLE TIDBITS FROM ACROSS THE POND
Thanks to Regton and Eddy Current (a.k.a. Serge Coil) for the following articles….